✼ We may earn an affiliate commission if you make a purchase through links on our site.
Truthwitch by Susan Dennard, the first book in The Witchlands Series, has everything fans of high fantasy will enjoy. The main characters are wonderfully developed and so relatable, there are epic battle scenes, and a friendship that is so strong and admirable. Also, the whole concept is just incredible with its witcheries and world-building that just blow the reader away.Title: Truthwitch
Series: The Witchlands #1
Author: Susan Dennard
Also by this author: Windwitch
Publisher: Tor Teen
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction, Action/Adventure
Publication Date: January 5, 2016
On a continent ruled by three empires, some are born with a “witchery,” a magical skill that sets them apart from others.
In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble—as two desperate young women know all too well.
Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It’s a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires.
Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her—but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from life as an outcast into one of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safi’s hotheaded impulsiveness.
Safi and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik (a Windwitch and ship’s captain) and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.
❃ I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. ❃
Review: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
The first aspect that always draws me into a book or series are characters that I can relate to and ones that are respectable. Right from the first chapter of Susan Dennard’s Truthwitch, the reader is immersed in a humorous and exciting heist gone wrong. Immediately, the story sucks you in and keeps you engaged in what the main characters, Safi and Iseult, are up to. It is a book chock full of girl power and best friends that will do anything it takes to help one another.
❀ Female Empowered
One thing that sets this book apart from most other fantasy novels is the fact that the battles are often fought by women. Not only are we reading about fierce females who can stand up for themselves, we are also finding that they are skilled at self-defence. These are my favourite scenes in the book and it is very apparent that Susan Dennard is writing from personal experience, as she is quite an expert in martial arts herself.
❀ A Unique Fantasy Series
Truthwitch by Susan Dennard is an amazing start to the Witchlands series. The world is very loosely based on the Venetian, Ottoman, and Habsburg empires of Europe and each empire has it own sets of witches and magics. While this first book in the series just touches on a few, the idea of a Truthwitch who can discern truth from a lie and a Threadwitch who can sense the ties that bind living things together are so unique.
Author Interview: Susan Dennard
Olivia @ The Candid Cover:
I recently read on your blog that you lived in my home country, Canada. What can you tell us about your experiences in Canada?
I LOVED Canada! Oh my gosh, Canadians are the nicest people of all time. Seriously. And I was lucky to get to travel some while I was there–from Toronto to Ottawa to Montreal. (And Nunavut too for my research!) I didn’t get to go out west, though, so that’s on my travel-bucket-list still!! 😀
Book Quotes: Truthwitch, Susan Dennard: Cootie Catcher
Playlist: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
Truthwitch Discussion Questions
- Safi and Iseult are fantastic fighters. Have you ever wanted to learn how to fight, take self-defence classes or have you already? Tell us about your reasoning/experience!
- Of these specialized witcheries revealed so far (truthwitch, threadwitch, bloodwitch, wordwitch, windwitch, voicewitch) which power would you like to have and why?
- The beginning of the book already features political intrigue, Safi and Iseult trying to get away, and the mystery of cleaving. Which plot point interests you the most so far, and why?
- Share a favorite quote from the book!
- Of the lands that we have visited so far in the book, where in the Witchlands would you want to live, given the choice?
- There have been quite a few mottos and words of wisdom used by a few of the characters so far. Which one is your favourite? Do you have any special phrases that help you get through your day?
- Friendship is a main theme that pulses through Truthwitch. Do you have a relationship like Safi and Iseult? Is there someone out there who always has your back and will defend you?
- If you were inserted into one of the novel’s epic battle scenes, which witchery would you like to have in order to defend yourself?
- A huge part of the story takes place on the sea. Do you love the ocean? Would you like to travel with the crew on the Jana? Or do you think you’d get seasick?
- From the boys we’ve met so far – Merik, Aeduan, Kullen, Leopold – who would you choose to be your book boyfriend? OR: From the girls we’ve met so far – Safiya, Iseult, Evrane, Ryber – who would you choose to be your book girlfriend?
- Did you imagine the sea foxes as described in the book? Do you think they’ll play a greater part later in the series?
- What is your first impression of Nubrevna?
Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
Truthwitch by Susan Dennard is an action-packed series that will be enjoyable for anyone who loves high fantasy. This female empowering book is just the beginning. Make sure to check out some of the other books in the series as well.