Welcome to my stop on the 2017 Debut Authors Bash hosted by YA Reads! Today on the blog, Candace Ganger gives us a list of some lesser known facts about herself. Before we read the dirt on Candace, let’s take a look at her debut YA novel, The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway at the end of the post to win your own copy of the book.
Title: The Inevitable Collision of Birdie and Bash
Author: Candace Ganger
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Publication Date: July 25, 2017
Summary (from Goodreads): Birdie never meant to be at the party. Bash should have been long gone. But when they meet, a collision course is set off they may never recover from.
Sebastian Alvaréz is just trying to hold the pieces together: to not flunk out, to keep his sort-of-best friend Wild Kyle from doing something really bad, and to see his beloved Ma through chemo. But when he meets Birdie Paxton, a near-Valedictorian who doesn’t realize she’s smoking hot in her science pun T-shirt, at a party, an undeniable attraction sparks. And suddenly he’s not worried about anything. But before they are able to exchange numbers, they are pulled apart. A horrifying tragedy soon links Birdie and Bash together—but neither knows it. When they finally reconnect, and are starting to fall—hard—the events of the tragedy unfold, changing both their lives in ways they can never undo. Told in alternating perspectives, The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash by Candace Ganger is a beautiful, complex, and ultimately hopeful teen novel that will move you to the very last page.
Top 10 Lesser Known Facts About Candace Ganger, Author of The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash
I have a long list of phobias, including, but not limited to, plastic cups, farm machinery, and bare mattresses. Every day, it seems there’s a new thing I’m terrified of.
I’ve never had an invisible friend, but talk out loud, to myself, 99% of every day.
- As an avid mental health advocate and someone who lives with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Post-Traumatic Distress Disorder, and Major Depressive Disorder (yeah, it’s a lot), I’ve been pinching my toes together between passing objects since five years old.
- I’ve had a lot of jobs but my least favorites include door-to-door vacuum sales, an annoying telemarketer (sorry), and mortgage company receptionist where I was belittled every day until fired.
- In high school, I was in M-Club — a Marion (IN) Giants basketball cheering section where I regularly held signs asking old Coach Moe to marry me (and I see how incredibly inappropriate that is now…yikes).
- I performed at a Boys & Girls Club talent show in middle school and walked away with a second place trophy (I think they felt sorry for me).
- I eat a mandatory yogurt mixed-with peanut butter and chocolate chips every night before bed.
- My first real kiss wasn’t until my sophomore year.
- My husband and I met performing at the same open mic.
- I didn’t begin running until I turned 31 — a year after my son and I nearly died from his traumatic birth. In the time since, I’ve run 1 ultramarathon, 7 marathons — including Boston — 9 half marathons, and dozens of 5 & 10ks.
Candace Ganger is a mother, blogger, contributing writer for sites like Teen Vogue, TWLOHA, Bustle, Romper, XO Jane & Hello Giggles. She’s also an obsessive marathoner and continual worrier (yay!). Her debut YA novel, THE INEVITABLE COLLISION OF BIRDIE & BASH, is out now via St. Martin’s Griffin, and she’s part of a YA mental health anthology, LIFE INSIDE MY MIND, out April 10th, 2018 via S&S. Her forthcoming YA novel from St. Martin’s Wednesday Books, FALLEN LOVED ONES AWAITING TRANSFER (#float) doesn’t have a pub date yet, but will soon!
When she’s not writing for other people’s fame or stress baking, you can find her training for marathons in cemeteries or taming her two weird kids (not to be confused with her two weird cats) while consuming way too many Milky Way lattes. You can follow her obsessive cat picture posting shenanigans via @candylandgang on Twitter!
Enter to win a copy of The Inevitable Collision of Birdie and Bash by Candace Ganger! Rules.
Make sure to check out all of the other stops along the Bash!